Friday, March 11, 2016

010 - Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner



"Addie, please." More tears dripped down her cheeks. "Don't be so hard."
"Oh, please," I muttered...and that was as far as I got. 'You broke my heart' were the words that had risen to my mouth, but I couldn't say them. That was what you said to a boyfriend, a lover, not your best friend. She'd laugh. And I'd had enough of being laughed at. I'd worked hard to get to a place where it didn't happen anymore, where I didn't move through life like a walking target, where it was just me and my paints and brushes and my big empty bed every night. "You weren't a good friend," I said instead.


I did such a back and forth between  loving and hating this book while I was reading it. I think in the end I like  it. I don't love  it. I still hate  parts of it and a little bit of  how Weiner wrote both the main female characters but  as the book goes on you start to understand why she does.

I think  maybe why I had such a  hard time with this book for most of it  is that I see myself  in Addie. Maybe a little too much on some levels and that's uncomfortable. But especially and for the  purpose  of this  in the way she  handles friendships. This friendship with  her  best friend since childhood Valerie.

As a child Addie  feels shy awkward and socially not  able to put herself out there. And then she has a girl  move in across the street; Val who for all  her own  reasons and issues is looking for a friend just as much as Addie  is so they bond quickly and fiercely.  The  thing  is as time goes on and they  grow up and things  change.... everything seems (to Addie) become easier for Val and while they  remain best friends they grow apart and Addie feels left  behind. 
I know that feeling. I had  my  own "Val" growing up. We were quickly  best friends and while we remained friends for years  there  came a time when I knew  and felt like her "back up"  best friend for whatever reason. 

This is how  Addie spends much  of  high school.  And then senior  year everything  completely falls apart for the two  of them and their friendship when something happens to Val. Val would rather forget and just move  in. Addie though speaks the truth, thinking she's doing what's best for  her  best friend.  Because  of that  one  night and both their choices afterwards they  don't speak for  more then fifteen  years. 

The  book  is the story  of what brings  them back together and full circle from that night  all those  years  earlier.  It's an up and down  cycle for  me  of weather  these two  should even  be friends again for most of the book. Again though that could be  me and  my feelings. So I have to  give it to Weiner for writing a story that as  angry  as  it  made me in spots  is definitely  realistic (most of the time....) to what  it takes to  bring two friends  back together.  

The book is funny and  sad (very sad  in spots; the  whole first part was  utterly  depressing to  me. It gets better though) and touching. There are parts that seem a bit  out of left field and even seem out  of character  for the women later on  in the book  but I can  overlook them for the most  part. 

I gave this 3 stars  on good reads.

Currently  reading: Relatively Famous  by  Heather C. Leigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment